The CSI activity statistics reports show activity on SIRIS Cross-Searching Interface interface.
For each month's report, the date the report was generated is given in the second line, (and
eventually we will have the inclusive dates of the report listed). These
reports are broken down to show activity
generated from within the Smithsonian Institution and activity from outside. Not all
'outside' activity is actually non-SI. Any activity generated by a web address that
begins '160.111' or '172.17' is considered within-SI activity, all else is considered non-SI activity.
However, some SI units have domain addresses outside 160.111 or 172.17. While this criterion correctly
identifies most SI and non-SI activity, some 'non-SI' activity may actually represent
activity from SI units outside these domains. Percentages of non-SI usage
are calculated in each case as
Searches initiated in 2-hr Increments: This section counts individual searches initiated within the two-hour segment. Note that all searches initiated by a user are included in this count (we are not counting number of sessions here, as we do in the HIP report).
Top 10 most frequent searches: This section records the most frequent searches from outside the Smithsonian domain, and the most frequent from inside the SI domain.
Page counts: This section records the number of separate pages viewed from inside and outside the SI domain. Why are there more searches initiated from inside the SI than there are pages viewed? I need to check this.
Various search limits Following this are some sections that record the number of restrictions of searches (by repository, by presence of images, by date, by genus_species) from inside the SI.
We will continue to refine this report, adding outside values, other restriction counts (e.g., type), and numbers of redirections to HIP (though this number is currently reported on the HIP report page).
In April 2017, I found that the report had been running in test mode since April 2015, with only three days of results reported for the month. I reran the full reports back to January 2016, the earliest data set saved when I discovered the problem. Now there is a gap from April 2015 to December 2015 inclusive where counts are 10% what they should be.
Return to reports page